Re: Compiling a kernel

Patrick,

Its relatively easy .. and you can make it a bit easier on yourself.

Untar from kernel.org in /usr/src

be sure ncurses-dev and ncurses are present

make menuconfig and configure your kernel

now make (or make -j xx, where xx = # of cpu's if > 1) [ fancy gcc hacks
go here if your brave ]

if modular - make modules_install
make install (will copy vmlinuz and friends to /boot)

I typically use grub, however I think it will update lilo for you if
present and in use.

Then make your initrd if needed and tweak as needed, verify /etc/modules
is what you want it to be and you should be good to go. Cross your
fingers and reboot.

Really very little difference at all. "make help" is also very helpful.

HTH

Best,
-Tim