Re: wireless network interface in Debian

On 10/21/06, H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:
Florian Kulzer wrote:

> [...]
>

>>01:05.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection (rev 05)
>>01:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB PRO/100 VE (MOB) Ethernet Controller (rev 83)

I have a friend who recently installed Ubuntu on his laptop and IIRC he
had the same card (or a similar one, but by Intel). It used the module
that you mentioned. In ubuntu, it was detected automatically and all he
had to do was give an ESSID and the key.

To the original poster, I suggest that first you see if your module gets
loaded successfully. Then you should have these packages installed:
wireless-tools, network-manager (and its corresponding -gnome or -kde
package as well, depending on which desktop you use), dhcp3-client,
dhcp3-common.

Once you are done installing those and modprobed the wireless module,
see what is the output of this command:
$> iwconfig

If you get your wireless interface listed here, you are in business.
Then you should try to configure your wireless device. Perhaps the
easiest way is to use the nm-applet GUI application. In gnome at least,
it puts a little icon on your panel which you can use to select any of
the wireless networks it lists.

I can explain more if you wish.

->HS

Thanks I am certainly getting there , after installing the
firmware....to /lib/firmware
the ipw2200 module loaded successfully and then i did this:

iwconfig eth2 essid "Network_620" key ABCD1234

when i run iwconfig  i see this

eth2      IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:"Network_620"
         Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.437 GHz  Access Point: 00:12:17:CD:5A:29
         Bit Rate=54 Mb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm
         Retry limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
         Encryption key:ABCD-1234-  Security mode:open
         Power Management:off
         Link Quality=96/100  Signal level=-30 dBm  Noise level=-82 dBm

this is my first day with Debian  , and i dont know how to check if i
have these packages

> wireless-tools, network-manager (and its corresponding -gnome or -kde
> package as well, depending on which desktop you use), dhcp3-client,
> dhcp3-common.

and whats the corresponding one for GNOME ( my desktop Environment),
but i think i atleast need the dhcp3 packages  to get a network
address for my wireless interface and i should be good, how do i
install/check these packages

--Digz