Re: wireless network interface in Debian

On Sat, Oct 21, 2006 at 10:27:59 -0400, Digvijoy Chatterjee wrote:
> On 10/21/06, ?ukasz Andrzejak wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >On 10/21/06, Digvijoy Chatterjee wrote:
> >> Hi List,
> >> First Day using Debian test build i386
> >> uname -a
> >> -----------------------
> >> Linux Ulysses 2.6.16-2-686 #1 Sat Jul 15 21:59:21 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux
> >>
> >> really excited , trying to configure the wireless network card , sound
> >> ,ethernet, video ,etc are fine
> >>
> >> dmesg |grep eth

[...]

> >> e100: eth0: e100_probe: addr 0xcfffe000, irq 11, MAC addr 00:0E:7B:88:B5:78
> >> eth1394: eth1: IEEE-1394 IPv4 over 1394 Ethernet (fw-host0)
> >> e100: eth0: e100_watchdog: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex
> >> eth0: no IPv6 routers present
> >>
> >> Is debian able to recognise my wireless card why if so why is it
> >> showing firewire (IEEE-1394)
> >
> >AFAIK - not related to your wifi card at all.
> >Looks like that device is some sort firewire-network bridge or something.

"Normal" firewire is also identified as ethX by default, at least that
is how it is on my laptop.

> >> How do i configure my wireless card ??
> >
> >You want to search for a tool called iwconfig - it allows you to do just
> >that in the same manner that you would use ifconfig.
> >
> >> Its connects to a secure Network and the settings in Windows XP are :
> >>
> >> Network Name (SSID)=Network_620
> >> Network Key (WEP)=DB333FE3395E811111
> >>
> >> WEP is a big hexadecimal , which i have changed for obvious reasons

[...]

> >Maybe lspci would tell me more.

[...]

> Ulysses:/etc# lspci

[...]

> 01:05.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection (rev 05)
> 01:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB PRO/100 VE (MOB) Ethernet Controller (rev 83)

[...]

> Do u find anything usefull in the lspci output which might help me
> configure the card ??

The module for your wireless card is called "ipw2200". I think it is
already included in the 2.6.16 kernel. As root, try to load it with:

modprobe ipw2200

Most likely you will get an error message about missing firmware. The
firmware can be downloaded from

http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/firmware.php

and should be put in the /lib/firmware directory.

If you can load the module without error messages then you can install
the "wireless-tools" package and use "iwconfig" to configure the ESSID,
key, etc.

After that you will probably need the package "dhcp3-client" so that you
can run "dhclient eth2" to obtain an IP address from your wireless
access point. (I am assuming that the wireless device will be eth2 since
eth0 and eth1 are already taken by your ethernet and firewire,
respectively.)

--
Regards,
          Florian