"mount /dev/sde1" is old vfat whole disk unless "-t ext2"

I took a 4 year old 80GB disk drive, formerly running Microsoft Windows,
then repartitioned it with fdisk.
But I get the following odd behavior
  mount         /dev/sde1  /mnt  #Mounts as 80GB vfat
  mount -t ext2 /dev/sde1  /mnt  #Mounts as 1GB  ext2
Of course,  "-t ext2" will guarantee no other partition type gets used,
but a mount without options I would not expect to do either of
a. Mount the whole disk drive, all 80GB rather than 1GB.
b. Mount a different filesystem (vfat) type than
   I set with fdisk (83).

I suppose that any of the commands "shred", "wide", "sterilize", or
   dd   if=/dev/zero   of=/dev/sde   bs=1000  count=80000000
would prepare a disk drive so that later
no ext2 partition would "mount" as a Microsoft vfat partition.
However, one is behooved to use fewer such dangerous commands.
Since 1994, I have used the following standard sequence to prepare
a Linux disk drive, whether that drive was old or new,
   fdisk (or cfdisk) to create partitions
   mkfs (or mke2fs) to put filesystems on those partitions
   /etc/fstab  changes if I want system mounts
   e2label  if I want to mount with a label
DID I MISS SOMETHING?

Like this oddity today, on another disk drive 6 years ago,
I was similarly perplexed by a first partition that misbehaved.

Configuration:
This "internal" Seagate ST380020A 80GB disk drive I attached to a CableMax
   USB2.0 to IDE & SATA Cable
so this bare (screwed on metal plate to protect electronics)
ATA drive is externally connected by USB cable and a power
connection.
I run Debian 3.0 (not yet upgraded to 3.1).
I don't expect this configuration causes these oddities,
since I use this configuration often,
although I don't often convert Microsoft disk drives to Linux ext2.

The rest of this email supports the above statement.
Here is the output for my 80GB disk drive using
   fdisk -l /dev/sde
#
   Disk /dev/sde: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 9729 cylinders
   Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes
#
   Device Boot  Start  End    Blocks   Id  System
   /dev/sde1        1  141   1132551   83  Linux   #1.1GB
   /dev/sde2      142  422   2257132+  83  Linux   #2.2GB

When I run
   mount /dev/sde1  /mnt
I get the following response from  "mount",
   /dev/sde1 on /mnt type vfat (rw)
which is not ext2!
Indeed, I can see former Microsoft Windows files with  "ls -F /mnt",
   My Documents/
   Program Files/
   autoexec.bat*
   command.com*
   config.sys*
I get the following from  "df",
   /dev/sde1  78131104  78131104  0 100% /mnt
so the full 80GB disk drive has been mounted, not just /dev/sde1.

When I run
   mount -t ext2 /dev/sde1  /mnt
I get the following response from  "mount",
   /dev/sde1 on /mnt type ext2 (rw)
as expected from my settings with fdisk.
The files now include Linux (No Microsoft files) files/directories from /boot,
as seen by the following   "ls -F /mnt",
   grub/
   lost+found/
   boot.b
   bzImage-2.4.27-sound
   System.map-2.4.27-sound
   boot-bmp.b
   boot-compat.b
   boot-menu.b
   boot-text.b
   chain.b
   os2_d.b
   map
I get the following from  "df",
   /dev/sde1  1114724 14532   1043568   2% /mnt
as expected for my 1.1GB partition.

--
Jameson C. Burt, NJ9L   Fairfax, Virginia, USA
jameson@coost.com       http://www.coost.com

LTSP.org:  magic "mysterious and awe-inspiring even though
                  we know they are real and not supernatural"