Re: The Debian cyrus-sasl2 team is in need of your help!

On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 11:01:29AM -0400, Grok Mogger wrote:
> Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> >On Sun, Oct 15, 2006 at 04:09:32PM -0400, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> >>Greetings fellow Debian users and developers,
> >>
> >>The Debian Cyrus SASL Team is working at a breakneck pace to try and get
> >>the new upstream version ready in time for Etch.  For that to happen, we
> >
> [*snip*]
> >
> >Unfortunately, LDAP support is still disabled, but we are working on
> >that issue.
> >
> [*snip*]
>
> Wait...  I have an LDAP directory setup against which I'm
> authenticating for Linux accounts (and in the future mail and
> whatnot).*  I'm trying to add SASL to the mix now.  Does this
> mean that I won't be able to do that with any Debian packages?
> I'm using Sarge at the moment, but want to do this on Etch too.

First of all, if you read the whole message, you would see that this is
a call for testing of new experimental packages.  Sarge will *certainly*
not be affected.  As far as Etch, there are number of conditions which
must be met:

 * The upgrade must actually work, which it currently does not because
   of missng LDAP support
 * We must be confident that breakage wil not occur or will be minimal,
 * hence we are currently calling for testing
 * The release managers must agree

So, given that you are currently on Sarge and actually using the LDAP
support in SASL, you don't want to mess with these packages right now.

Regards,

-Roberto
--
Roberto C. Sanchez