Re: modem: internal or external?

On Thursday 19 October 2006 12:51, dtutty@porchlight.ca shared this with us
all:
>--> I'm building a new computer (Etch is installing over dial up now),
>--> but all my modems are internal ISA.  So unless I want to have to fire up
>--> my 486 just to dial out, I need a new modem.
>-->
>--> The MB has a serial port and I have 3 PCI slots, a PCI-E x 16 and 2
>--> PCI-E x1 free. (Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe AMD AM2, Athlon 3800+, 1GB ram, lvm
>--> on raid1 dual 80 GB Seagate SATA drives).
>-->
>--> What is the current wisdom for a solid reliable modem?  Should I go
>--> external via the serial port or internal?  Is USR still the defacto gold
>--> standard?
>-->
>--> As far as the computer itself goes, the only advantage of an external is
>--> that the bios has a power-on on ring via external modem.  I don't think
>--> I need that.
>-->
>--> Thanks,
>-->
>--> Doug.

I have been using a Maestro Woomera eternal modem for 10 years, and it works a
treat. Has many features, and because I live in the bush, need it for
impedance matching on the copper wire line.

Used it on a serial port for nearly 7 years and the last 3 or just a bit
longer on a USB to RS232 cable.

This modem costs a bit more, but is the best value. If you don't think that
you are getting off dialup soon and carry it with you for mobile net
connection. The value is unsurpassed. It allows the chip to be flashed for
the latest firmware, etc., etc..

HTH
Charlie

--