Re: wireless network configuration

On 10/18/06, Florian Kulzer <florian@molphys.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:

There are to separate issues here:

1) Which module is used for the device? If you blacklisted the 43xx
   module then it should not be loaded. It should be possible to
   identify the module in the output of "ls /sys/bus/pci/drivers".

I was doing trial and error with options. I remove ifplugd. Somehow eth1 doen't appear. May be due to ifplugd. I have seen in both bcm43xx and ndiswrapper, device is named as eth1. The rule below you quoted may be the reason.

2) The name of the device node is determined by udev if your system is
   set up normally. If you prefer a different name you have to adapt the
   rule in /etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules.

At the moment it looks like you have a working wireless device named
"eth1" which is already associated with an access point. Why not try
this one first, for example with "dhclient eth1" if your access point
uses DHCP.

Personally I would try to avoid ndiswrapper as much as possible.
However, since I don't have any Broadcom hardware I cannot say how well
the bcm43xx driver works.

I also wanted to try new thing. Hence I went after bcm43xx. On further study, It appeared to me(may be I am wrong),  that both approaches fall back upon bcmwl5.sys. bcm43xx-fwcutter needs this. ndiswrapper also needs this. Etch by default fetches fw from wl_apsta.o. For me to use bcm43xx, neither fw from this, nor from bcmwl5.sys from sites in the doc nor my windows bcmwl5.sys worked. Finally I had to go back to ndiswrapper and got it working.
Thanks for the suggestion and help.

--
L.V.Gandhi
http://lvgandhi.tripod.com/