Re: wireless network configuration

On 10/16/06, Florian Kulzer <florian@molphys.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:
On Sun, Oct 15, 2006 at 23:30:50 -0400, Martin Paraskevov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How can I setup my debian box to connect to a wireless router for my
> internet connection. My wireless card is:
>
> D-Link AirPlus DWL-520+ Wireless NIC (PCI) 802.11b
>
> If you can point me to some useful information online will be very helpful
> too.

The first thing is to compile the kernel module for your card:
http://acx100.sourceforge.net

The good news is that it has been debianized, therefore it should be
possible to install the package "module-assistant" and run (as root)

module-assistant auto-install acx100

and everything should happen more or less automatically. You need
"contrib" in your /etc/apt/sources.list, otherwise the source package
will not be found.

The next thing is to get the firmware for the device:
http://acx100.erley.org/acx_fw/acx1xx.htm
The firmware should be put in /lib/firmware or in
/usr/lib/hotplug/firmware.

There are also unofficial Debian packages for the firmware:
http://stef.tvk.rwth-aachen.de/~nazgul/debian/acx100/

In the end you should be able to run "modprobe acx100" without error
messages, and "lsmod" should list the module as loaded.

If anything goes wrong: Post the error messages.

If everything works out: Install "wireless-tools" and use "iwconfig" to
check and set parameters such as the ESSID, access point, encryption
key, etc.

--
Regards,
          Florian