Re: Rsync and different sizes

On Thursday 19 October 2006 12:15, Sturla Holm Hansen wrote:
> Actually it's the original that's bigger, here's the rsync-command I
> use:
>
>  rsync -aizH --delete --stats  --password-file=/etc/rsyncd.pass
> username@host::rsyncshare/* /destinationdir

Using '*' you could miss directories and files starting with a dot.

> I also get "SIGUSR1 or SIGINT " error on a lot of syncs, got any idea
> what's causing this?

Maybe a cat walking on the keyboard?

However this could be interesting too:

>The bakcup-server runs on xfs and the local rsync-server runs on ext3
>if  that can have anything to do with anything....

It seem's that the size of empty directory is file system dependant:
$ mkdir dir-on-xfs
$ mkdir dir-on-ext3
$ du -b dir-on-xfs
6	dir-on-xfs
$ stat dir-on-xfs | grep Size
Size: 6               Blocks: 0          IO Block: 4096   directory
$ du -b dir-on-ext3
4096	dir-on-ext3
$ stat dir-on-ext3 | grep Size
Size: 4096            Blocks: 8          IO Block: 4096   directory

So, if you want to check your backup, don't rely on du but use md5sum
and/or sha1sum on the files.

Regards,
Daniele