Re: firewalls and installation stuff....

From: "P. Johnson" <baloo@ursine.ca>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: firewalls and installation stuff....
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 18:12:58 -0700

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 03:37:19PM -0700, P. Johnson wrote:
>> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

>> > [...]
>> >>

>> > I hope that didn't come across as harsh as it now looks to me.
>>
>> It isn't, if you're not so hung up on what the URL looks like and instead
>> click it and look at the content.
>
> please clarify for me as I'm having trouble parsing this. Are you
> saying it isn't harsh and if one took the time to read the page, they
> would not be offended by having it suggested to them? If so, I agree
> with you :)

Yup, that's exactly what I was getting at.

I went on this site and read the content. I have some comments about this. In my career I have mostly been a user of software but when I was a kid I did do some programming in Fortran. The types of software Ihave used range from the following:

software for solving protein structure by X-ray crystallography;

this included film measurement and scanning, crystal structure refinement software, molecular replacement, X-ray detector software, electron density maps, molecular graphics software and so on.

I had to read a lot of documentation.

I then got a job doing molecular dynamics simulations of enzyme catalysed reactions.

More documentation here.

What I would say is that there is never a precise one to one match between what is in a manual and what you need to do to use a piece of software.

So I have some sympathy for what people have written on this page but not completely.

Sorry if I seem a bit thick skinned but there it is.

I am running a company that is developing technology to clean up CO2 from power stations.

If you want you can ask dumb questions about this and I will be patient with you. I have to do this with business people all the time. Even executives in large companies who should know better can't understand what I am doing in some cases.

Even then, I can't give them a full clear explanation because I have to persuade them to sign a confidentiality agreement with me before I can disclose what I am working on in any detail to avoid blowing the patent rights......

But I have managed to get confidentiality agreements with a power company and an engineering contractor that builds chemical plants and power stations.

Regards,

Michael Fothergill