Re: firewalls and installation stuff....

On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 09:38:32AM +0000, Michael Fothergill wrote:

> What I would say is that there is never a precise one to one match between
> what is in a manual and what you need to do to use a piece of software.

If you can't do it without the software you won't be able to with the
software.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that installing e.g. crafty, you will
then be able to play chess if you couldn't before. If you can play chess
you will still need to read the documentation (if any provided) to get
the most from the software. I read somewhere that man pages need to be
read at least three times before they start making sense. Unfortunately,
some never do :-(

> If you want you can ask dumb questions about this and I will be patient
> with you.  I have to do this with business people all the time.  Even
> executives in large companies who should know better can't understand what
> I am doing in some cases.

A dumb question asked the right way could sound like a smart-question.
If you are having trouble with something then undoubtedly someone else
has had the same problem. The archives and google help out there.

Nearly (all?) everybody on this list is a volunteer. You sometimes get
the wrong advice, but that is normally followed up with the correct
advice if you are lucky.

Start using the tools provided:

apt-cache search <keyword> (e.g. apt-cache search chess)
apt-cache show <pkg-name> (e.g. apt-cache show crafty)

dpkg -L <pkg-name> (shows files in an installed package) which is good
for picking up any README's, .html, or other maybe helpful files.

Keep reading debian-user :-)

--
Chris.
======