Re: Starting iptables

On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 05:45:34PM -0500, cothrige wrote:
> I was wondering about the best way to start iptables with each boot in
> Debian and so I did some googling.  I found a Debian Wiki and it gave
> instructions concerning update-rc.d, but this requires a script for
> iptables in init.d and this does not exist.  At least not in my
> system.  Can anyone give me a quick idea of the "correct" way to start
> iptables at boot?  I suppose I could just add something to rc.local,
> but I was sort of assuming there was a more appropriate way.

There was once a script supplied with the iptables package that would
save iptables 'active' and 'inactive' states, and could be dropped into
/etc/init.d and used in exactly the fashion you request.

For reasons unclear to me, this was dropped. It can still be found on
Debian Sarge at:

/usr/share/doc/iptables/examples/oldinitdscript.gz

Maybe someone can explain to me why it was so bad that it warranted
removal :)

Cheers,

Paul

--
Paul Dwerryhouse				| PGP Key ID: 0x6B91B584
A look at Ubuntu Server Edition: