Re: Starting iptables

cothrige wrote:
> I was wondering about the best way to start iptables with each boot in
> Debian and so I did some googling.  I found a Debian Wiki and it gave
> instructions concerning update-rc.d, but this requires a script for
> iptables in init.d and this does not exist.  At least not in my
> system.  Can anyone give me a quick idea of the "correct" way to start
> iptables at boot?  I suppose I could just add something to rc.local,
> but I was sort of assuming there was a more appropriate way.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Patrick

Well, my custom firewall script does take start, stop and restart
arguments and so I could call it using the rc method. However, I have
thus far used it by calling it with a pre-up line in the stanza for my eth0:
pre-up /etc/myfirewall/firewall.sh restart

With this line, before the interface is brought up, the script is called
with the restart argument. It has worked so far, in my router machine
which connects with my adsl modem and also does masquarading and also on
my desktop machines on my home lan.

good luck,
->HS