Still fontconfig (and Xorg and Defoma, ...)?

On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 22:36:42 +0100, Alle Meije Wink wrote:
I am running etch at the moment, with Xorg as my X server. During an apt-get update last week or so, openoffice-org and ttf-opensymbol were upgraded. Things started going wrong when it came to installing openoffice-org, which was unconfigured and that was a problem. Not that I had had a chance to run it... Could not really figure out what the problem was. After that, during the configuration of ttf-opensymbol, these error messages showed up:
>> Setting up ttf-opensymbol (2.0.4~rc3-1) ...
Updating fontconfig cache...
/usr/share/fonts: failed to write cache
/usr/share/fonts/X11: failed to write cache
[...]

In other words: either 0 fonts, n dirs; or m fonts, 0 dirs for all fonts that fc-cache tries.

I get the same type of message for all my font directories when I run
"fc-cache -v", but don't get the "failed to write cache" error.

What are the permissions of /var/cache/fontconfig?

They are fine (although the dir is empty). I'm not sure where fontconfig wants to write the cache?

$ ls -ld /var/cache/fontconfig/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2006-10-16 09:43 /var/cache/fontconfig/
$ lsattr -d /var/cache/fontconfig/
------------------ /var/cache/fontconfig/

Does this directory contain any files with names like
<long hex string>-x86.cache-2? If yes, do these files have reasonable
timestamps (i.e. not in the future)?

Can you do things like "touch /var/cache/fontconfig/testfile" as root?

no problem...

root@debian:~$ ls -ld /var/cache/fontconfig/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Oct 18 01:51 /var/cache/fontconfig//
root@debian:~$ lsattr -d /var/cache/fontconfig/
----------------- /var/cache/fontconfig/

... exactly the same
(except that it is empty)

A long string of errors seem to come from defoma. I tried dpkg-reconfigure defoma (as well as fontconfig) but that gives me the same list of errors.

When I remove defoma and/or fontconfig, most of my X programs will be removed (KDE, firefox, etc). If it removes the problem though, would that be worth a try?

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Is nobody else having these problems? I cannot remember ever installing weird font things (except upgrading OpenOffice)

Alle Meije