Re: Still fontconfig (and Xorg and Defoma, ...)?

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 03:18:06 +0100, Alle Meije Wink wrote:

> >[...]
> >
> >>In other words: either 0 fonts, n dirs; or m fonts, 0 dirs for all fonts
> >>that fc-cache tries.
> >>
> >>I get the same type of message for all my font directories when I run
> >>"fc-cache -v", but don't get the "failed to write cache" error.
> >>
> >What are the permissions of /var/cache/fontconfig?
>
> They are fine (although the dir is empty). I'm not sure where fontconfig
> wants to write the cache?

AFAIK it should write *.cache-2 files in /var/cache/fontconfig.

> >$ ls -ld /var/cache/fontconfig/
> >drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2006-10-16 09:43 /var/cache/fontconfig/
> >$ lsattr -d /var/cache/fontconfig/
> >------------------ /var/cache/fontconfig/
> >
> >Does this directory contain any files with names like
> ><long hex string>-x86.cache-2? If yes, do these files have reasonable
> >timestamps (i.e. not in the future)?
> >
> >Can you do things like "touch /var/cache/fontconfig/testfile" as root?
>
> no problem...
>
> root@debian:~$ ls -ld /var/cache/fontconfig/
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Oct 18 01:51 /var/cache/fontconfig//
> root@debian:~$ lsattr -d /var/cache/fontconfig/
> ----------------- /var/cache/fontconfig/
>
> ... exactly the same
> (except that it is empty)
>
> A long string of errors seem to come from defoma. I tried
> dpkg-reconfigure defoma (as well as fontconfig) but that gives me the
> same list of errors.
>
> When I remove defoma and/or fontconfig, most of my X programs will be
> removed (KDE, firefox, etc). If it removes the problem though, would
> that be worth a try?

I think it should be possible to do something like this:

dpkg --purge --force-depends fontconfig fontconfig-config

This should remove the two packages (including configuration files)
while leaving the rest of the system as is. You will get lots of
dependency warnings, of course. (I obviously did not try this on my box,
so I might have forgotten an additional necessary option; see "man
dpkg".)

Afterwards it should be possible to "dpkg --install" the two packages
again with their original configuration files. You need to specify the
names of the newest .deb files of these packages in
/var/cache/apt/archives.

However, before we resort to such drastic measures we should maybe try
to fix the configuration files manually. Can you post the output of:

grep -A 10 'Font.*directory' /etc/fonts/fonts.conf

--
Regards,
          Florian