Re: Mdadm -- Restoring an array

> In the future, I'll build my own .conf files just to be sure.  In
> the long run, I'm just going to find a RAID controller that does
> hardware RAID5, preferably one that's hot swappable, and just
> rebuild the RAID on that.
>
> > I also like to run / from a raid array. /boot is a mirror,
> > and so any faulty drive will keep the system bootable.
>
> Are you saying / includes a /boot partition and you still have a
> separate /boot partition?  That's a cool way to set it up.  I've got
> some extra drives and might be able to work out something similar.
> Without the /boot mirror, will Linux be able to boot the RAID
> directly?  I didn't think that was possible.

Hope you get your array back, I'm not sure what else to try.
No backup?

Yes, you can create a seperate partition for /boot. It must be a single
partition, drive, or best of all, raid 1 array. Nothing else.
Without /boot seperate, your kernel can't load.
/ can be a raid 5, or raid 0 or whatever.
Because your /boot isn't a fancy array, the kernel will load, tehn load
up mdadm to create your root raid array and then mount /.

Mike