Re: video cards, the mouse, Xfree86 and Debian installation.....

On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 11:55:05AM +0000, Michael Fothergill wrote:
> >Depending what you want as a window manager etc.. You have to scan 10
>
> OK.........  I will now reinstall and scan the pants of the entire
> distribution.

STOP! You don't have to reinstall. You've got a working CLI right?
you're golden now. You don't even have to scan anymore disks either as
you're on broadband. please read "man sources.list" to learn how to
set up the apt-get system. use the main debian mirrors for now but do
change to another one soon to help spread the load. Then read "man
apt-get" so you understand how that works. Once you've got a working
CLI and an internet connection, you can download and install whatever
packages you want on your system trivially.

for example:

apt-get install x-window-system

will download and install all the packages needed to run the
x-window-system. its really simple.

to reconfigure the x-server, if you're having problems like specifying
the wrong driver issue the following

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

that will take you through the setup of the xserver and write a new
config file for you.

> I now think I really need a DVD on my machine.

nah. pulling packages over the net is so simple. read up on the whole
apt system. of course, you may still want a DVD, but only for the fun
stuff :)

> Vesa came up as default.  I will try it.

Vesa should work with everything. You can get the system running with
Vesa and then try reconfiguring your way into the "right" drivers for
your hardware.

> >psaux or something like this?

/dev/psaux is the device for a PS mouse.

hth.