Re: off-site backup

Just a reminder,
reply to the list.  I'm not sure which list you read it on, so I sent it
to both.

On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 11:06:22AM -0600, Cedar Cox wrote:
> >It seems that USB sticks/flash-drives are far more rugged than anything
> >other than paper.  What have you found?
>
> Flash memory does have limited write cycles.  This is probably more an
> issue for people who carry a Linux distro on their stick than you for
> backup, but it is an item to consider.
>
> --
> -Cedar

Does anyone know what the limit is?  10 years at monthy is 120 cycles;
10 years at weekly is 520 cycles, 10 years at daily is 3,650.

Does the cycle limit apply to the whole device or does a section get
worn out and the capacity just shrink?  E.g. if I have my /etc/
directory copied to it and one file in /etc/ changes, does changing that
one file reduce the lifespan of the drive as a whole?

I don't know how a memory chip gets translated into a 'drive'.  Is it
like a HDD with spare sectors?