Re: System maintenance

On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 03:28:36PM -0500, cothrige wrote:
> * Andrei Popescu (andreimpopescu@gmail.com) wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 08:36:20AM -0500, cothrige wrote:
> >
> > Scenario1: You install stable (now sarge) and the entry in your sources.list
> > is 'stable'. When etch will be released the next dist-upgrade will upgrade
> > your whole system to etch *without* reinstalling. You should read the release
> > notes first though, especially for production machines.
>
> Unfortunately I would have to reinstall, and now that I have things
> moving along nicely I would hate to go through that.  Plus, since
> things are not really messed up yet I suppose I have no reason to go
> to stable at this point.  And didn't I read somewhere that December is
> the date for the next release?  If so, I see even less reason to hurry.

This was just a scenario to explain the differences between using 'stable'
and 'sarge' in the sources list. As 'etch' is approaching release - by debian
standards we are pretty close :) - it is getting more and more stable. And
it is pretty up-to-date as well.

Regards,
Andrei
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)