Re: System maintenance

On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 08:36:20AM -0500, cothrige wrote:

> One thing that I am now curious about is the setup of sources.list and
> the release of the next stable.  For instance, my sources.list was
> initially setup with entries for 'etch' such as "deb
> http://ftp.ndlug.nd.edu/mirrors/debian/ etch main contrib non-free" I
> have seen online some people have 'testing' where mine says etch.
> Would having etch mean that when the next release of stable comes out,
> which I am gathering will be etch, I will then be running stable?  Or
> is there some other entry somewhere that makes what I am using remain
> 'testing'?  The reason I ask is that come that day I am not sure if I
> will want to continue to follow testing or possibly have stable, but
> it seems that it may be a good time to consider just drifting up to
> stable.  In the meantime I cannot imagine how a person would switch
> =66rom testing to stable without a full reinstall.  Is that right?

Scenario1: You install stable (now sarge) and the entry in your sources.list
is 'stable'. When etch will be released the next dist-upgrade will upgrade
your whole system to etch *without* reinstalling. You should read the release
notes first though, especially for production machines.

Scenario2: You installed testing but your sources.list has 'etch'. If you don't
change this you will allways stay with etch, when it becomes stable and
eventualy old-stable. Again, no reinstall needed. If you want to stay with
testing you could change your sources.list to point to testing. Some people
on this list say testing gets very broken just after the release, so you
might want to stay with etch until things stabilize in testing and only
then do the dist-upgrade.

Regards,
Andrei
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)