Re: System maintenance

* hendrik@topoi.pooq.com (hendrik@topoi.pooq.com) wrote:

> If you want a little more control over the details, with a usable
> text-based user interface, use 'aptitude'.
> after it's started in a text console (very useful if your X is broken)
> the command 'u' updates its package lists, 'U' then does the same as
> apt-get upgrade, except that it just decides which things to upgrade
> without doing it, 'g' tell sit to go ahead and do it -- except again, it
> pauses once for you to vies the entire list of proposed changes.  You
> can then edit the list if you wish, and do another 'g' to get it to
> actually make the changes.

I have been wanting to try aptitude (so far I have used apt-get) but
it has intimidated me in the past.  But, it really does sound decent
and so I think I will bite the bullet and do it.  After all, this has
all been driven by the desire to learn how to use Debian.  And I
really like the sound of its ability to remove unused dependencies
later.

Many thanks for the info on this.

Patrick