Re: System maintenance

On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 08:49:23AM -0400, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 04:19:16AM -0400, Kevin Mark wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 15, 2006 at 01:29:43PM -0500, cothrige wrote:

> Unfortulately, aptitude doesn't know if you explicitly requested a
> package using apt-get, so you will have to watch out a bit when you
> delete things.

I have always used old hardware on which Sarge's installer won't work
(not enough memory) so have always installed via Woody and upgraded.
This means that I start out with dselect and then add aptitude.  When I
first switch to aptitude, after tellin it to automatically select
depends packages, I go down the list of installed packages and
any package that I don't explicitly want (manual), I mark auto with 'M'.
I only have to to this once and then I don't have to worry again about
deleting things.  Aptitude takes care of things from then on.