Re: System maintenance

On Sun, Oct 15, 2006 at 04:40:31PM -0400, Grok Mogger wrote:
> > * Roberto C. Sanchez (roberto@connexer.com) wrote:
> > >
> > > I like it because you can configure it to update the package list
> and do
> > > nothing, to update the package list and download any pending
> updates but
> > > not install them, or to update, download and install all without
> > > intervention.
> >
> > Sounds really quite good.  I do have one question though.  I had
> > initially thought to install Sarge, but after two downloads and two
> > separate discs burned, I could not succesfully do so.  So, I went with
> > Etch.  What I am wondering is if an automated tool like this will work
> > as well for testing as it will for stable?  I am assuming that there
> > is much more change to the packages in testing and therefore more than
> > security updates.  Will that possibly cause problems, if you see what
> > I am getting at?
> >
> > With Etch there will be more updates.  I also recommend against having
> > them automatically installed since they may be more disruptive.  The
> > main problem is that the freeze is impending.  This means that there is
> > a flurry of activity as maintainers try and get updated version of their
> >packages into Sid in time for them to migrate to Etch.  Your call.
>
> Would you really want to run something like cron-apt to keep your system
> up to date?  Is that generally what people do?  Just run a big apt-get
> update, apt-get upgrade?  I'd just think that could have negative
> consequences (like breaking something).  Does it, or is that generally
> safe practice?
>
> If that is a bad idea, then is there any easy way to just get critical
> security updates and sort of leave everything else as is?
>
> Thanks,
> - GM
run stable
but don't put "stable" into your sources.list, but the actual release
(e.g. sarge atm, etch when it will be released)...
that way you will only get security updates and no changing system....
and no need for cron-apt...
just read debian-security-announce and run aptitude update; aptitude
upgrade when an anounce consernse your system
that should be sufficient...
(at least as with security updates, not security in general of course)

yours
albert

- --
Albert Dengg <a_d@gmx.at>