Trouble with kernels 2.6.16 and 2.6.18 (486)

Hi,

I'm running (somewhat uptodate) unstable. I had been using kernels 2.4.27 and 2.6.12, which both worked fine. I recently added 2.6.18 (-1-486), and Bad Things are happening: a) kernel oopses, and b) occasionally (sometimes pretty often) keypresses are multiplied into dozens of themselves. The latter occurs across applications and even in WM controls; it can be quite problematic when it happens when I hit ctrl-d in Sylphhed :). I haven't noticed any pattern or any triggering events. Has anyone seen anything similar? Should / how do I report this? 'reportbug' against the 2.6.18 kernel binary package? How do I capture the oops info if the system is nonfunctional (write it down manually)?
I have since tried 2.6.16 and it also didn't work properly; the keypress multiplying was severe. X also freezes sometimes under 2.6.16.
Incidentally, the keypress multiplying may only be ocurring under X; I don't think I've seen it on the console (even when switching to the VC's while X is running).
Note that 2.4.27 seems to still work perfectly fine, so I don't think I have an X problem; 2.6.12 boots but X doesn't start, perhaps because the 2.6.18 installation added udev and removed hotplug.

Celejar

--
ssuds.sourceforge.net - Home of Ssuds and Ssudg, a Simple Sudoku Solver and Generator