From: Roberto C. Sanchez [mailto:roberto@connexer.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2006 5:44 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Linux and Newest Hardware

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 03:38:09PM -0500, Seth Goodman wrote:

> OK, let me tell you why I believe I'm not mixed up ... at least on this.
> I actually said commodity hardware.  I meant the stage where hardware
> and drivers are stable, there are multiple mainstream suppliers and they
> are priced as commodities.  With the short product lifetimes of consumer
> electronics, that means recent, though not bleeding edge.

OK.  Let me tell you why I believe you *are* mixed up.

> What exactly is that today?  It's completely a matter of opinion.  My
> notion is something like a 2GHz 64-bit AMD or 3GHz Intel processor,
> 256MB DDR RAM, graphics chipset on motherboard, USB2.0 ports, DVD writer
> and a 150MB+ (modern) hard drive.  Purchasing a USB keyboard or wireless
> mouse at the local store should neither require a trip to the list nor
> compiling a kernel.  Such systems are plentiful, stable and cheap from
> mainstream manufacturers, even with the preinstalled commercial O/S.

That is reasonable.  Except for one thing: who will ensure that you
don't need to make trip to the list or compile your own kernel?  Now,
for Windows it is the manufacturer.  They realize that not doing so
would be detrimental to their business model.  Who will do the same for
Linux?  Currently, most manufacturers (except for expensive server-grade
hardware, which you have already said is not your target), do not see it
as detrimental to omit Linux support.  That means that the cost of
supporting windows, which is ammortized over many thousands or millions
of units sold, is cheaper to the individual, and almost invisible in the
price.  However, if you want to use something like Linux, which has far
fewer users, the cost of support is: 1) paid after the manufacturing is
done; and 2) ammortized over far fewer individuals.  Remember, nothing
is free.

> Buying commodity hardware like this from a shop that preinstalls Linux,
> or is at least responsible for compatibility, will normally cost a lot
> more.  It is extremely hard for small shops to compete with the
> WalMarts, eMachines and Microsofts of the world.  They can only do so by
> not making much profit, or being subsidized by their customers' good
> will.

Right.  It is more expensive because you are paying the shopkeeper or
technician for his/her expertise and risk with making sure the component
works with Linux.  You are more than welcome to buy the unsupported
component and figure it out yourself.  Of course, you have also said
that you don't want to do that.

The bottom line is that you want to have you cake and eat it too.  In
the current world, that will not work.  Linux will need to see far
greater adoption before consumer-grade hardware is supported equally
well in Windows and Linux.

Regards,

-Roberto
--