Re: "Testing" Installation Headache

On Friday 13 October 2006 07:31, Peter Hillier-Brook shared this with us all:
> I've just installed Testing on an old 800MHz Pentium III. The
> installation seemed to go fine until the final 2 steps: I wasn't clear
> why a shell was invoked and then, having exited the shell the only
> option left was to abort the installation.
>
> Booting the new installation went well until the request for a user and
> password (in the GUI - Gnome I assume). Either the user, or the password
> was not recognised both for root and the default user I had created
> during the install.
>
> My question is; is there any recovery option other than a re-install? I
> have several live CDs and Knoppix comes up fine, although grml doesn't.
>
> Thanks for any advice.
>
> Peter HB

I had this same problem with testing [Etch]

The installer didn't finish. I also didn't use the option to install any
software, just the base system. So I just turned off the computer and allowed
it to boot.

What I did then was:- login as root

Here are my notes:-

1. Typing # passwd I got it to ask me to type a password. Followed the prompts

2. Created a user, and the password for that as well.

3. Had to add the /etc/hosts file by hand:-

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

4. Also the /etc/network/preferences file:-

# Used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8). See the interfaces(5) manpage or

# /usr/share/doc/ifupdown/examples for more information.

# The loopback network interface

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback

5. The /etc/hostname file:- [with hostname if required]

Rebooted to have it all come together..............

6. Then started the package selection, which I prefer to do on my own.....

apt-get install through the command line while still logged in as root:-

HTH
Charlie

--
Registered Linux User:- 329524