Re: makefile syntax

On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 01:43:37AM -0500, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> "Mumia W.." <paduille.4059.mumia.w@earthlink.net> writes:
>
> > On 10/10/2006 11:00 PM, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> >> In reading the GNU Make Manual
> >> (http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html#Rule-Syntax), it is
> >> not clear to me whether a space is allowed between a target name and the
> >> colon(':').  For example, are the expressions "all:" and "all :"
> >> equivalent?  And is the expression "all : symlinks pdf" equivalent to
> >> "all: symlinks pdf" ?
> >>

> > Spaces are allowed after the target name. Yes, those are equivalent.
> >

> Thank you, Mumia!
>
> Meanwhile, I printed out the 178-page GNU Make Manual (it is
> much easier to read on paper than on the computer screen) and have
> started reading it.  It very well written and is pleasant to read, so I
> plan to read it from cover-to-cover tomorrow.

Hi RLH,
while it is great to print it out at home, let me make a better
recommendation. You can take a pdf file and bring/email it to a kiko's
and have them print it out and put it into a spriral binding with clear
plastic covers. It makes for a lay-flat open binding that facilitates
easy reading and note taking in the borders. The cost should not be
prohibitive. Maybe $20 and well worth it!
cheers,
Kev
ps. I did this for the debian installation guide and debian reference.