Upgrade problem with updating fontconfig cache

I recently encountered a problem with apt-get upgrade. My config fails
when trying to update the font cache. I have fontconfig 2.4.1-2 installed
from 'testing'.

Searching the web has offered no solution.

Here is a portion of the output from the apt-get upgrade:

Setting up ttf-opensymbol (2.0.4~rc3-1) ...
Updating fontconfig cache...
Fontconfig warning: line 32: unknown element "cachedir"
Fontconfig warning: line 33: unknown element "cachedir"
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/80-delicious.conf", line 18:
invalid match target "scan"
fc-cache: symbol lookup error: fc-cache: undefined symbol: FcDirCacheRead
dpkg: error processing ttf-opensymbol (--configure):

Any help is appreciated.

Pete