Re: generate syndication feed for podcast

Arthur Marsh <arthur.marsh@internode.on.net> writes:

> Chris Bannister wrote, On 2006-10-09 12:34:
>> On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 01:15:49PM -0500, Russell L. Harris wrote:
>>> After another day or two of searching, I stumbled upon a link to
>>> www.softwaregarden.com, which site belongs to Dan Bricklin.
>>>
>>> It turns out that Dan has written in Perl an RSS feed generator program
>>> called "ListGarden"; it appears to be as nice a feed generator as anyone
>>> could hope to find.
>>>
>>> The program is GNU GPL; it is thoroughly documented, complete with
>>> several tutorials demonstrating its use for various applications.
>>>
>>> In view of the dearth of similar GNU GPL programs, I suggest that
>>> ListGarden needs to be made a Debian package.
>>
>> File an RFP, or do it yourself and get a sponsor, otherwise it won't.
>>

> It can be a bit difficult to find the right way to request that a
> package be included in Debian.
>
> One way is to use reportbug without arguments, then select "other",
> then "wnpp", then "RFP" and fill in the details.
>
> Regards,
>
> Arthur.

Thanks, Arthur.  Last night I used "ListGarden" to create a feed for a
blog and another feed for providing notice of updates and additions to a
web site.

Dan Bricklin has prepared a detailed, step-by-step tutorial
for each of these tasks, as well as a tutorial for creating a feed for a
podcast.  And -- something which increasingly is becoming rare -- Dan
made the tutorials printer-friendly, and he did an excellent job of
formatting and organizing them.

I previously decided to publish my feeds on feedburner.com, because
feedburner.com provides several feeds (including atom and iTunes), so as
to ensure compatibility with any feed reader or news aggregator.

But the catch is that you need to have a feed to give to feedburner;
this is where ListGarden comes in.  Dan states that he has not attempted
to go beyond the basics of a feed; but that is fine for anyone using a
service such as feedburner.com.  And without ListGarden, I still would
be struggling to put together a crude feed by hand, because, aside from
the feed creation code which is internal to blogging engines such as
WordPress, I have found no other package for the initial creation of a
feed.

RLH