Re: startx question -- Etch & Xorg vs Sarge and XFree86

On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 10:29:33 -0700
Marc Shapiro <mshapiro_42@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am currently running Sarge with XFree86.  I have done a chroot
> install of Etch with Xorg.  When I boot into Sarge I run X with the
> command:
>
> startx -- :1.0 vt07 (through an alias)
>
> and my wife uses
>
> startx -- :0.0 vt08
>
> That way we can each have seperate X sessions open at the same time,
> with our own preferences, colors, bookmarks, etc.
>
> When I boot to Etch, however, this results in a blank gray X screen
> and no mouse keys seem to do anything, so I can not even open an
> xterm.  All I can do is a ctl-alt-bksp to get out of X entirely.  If
> I remove the alias so that startx uses no commandline parameters,
> then X starts up fine, using fvwm2, setting my background color and
> opening an mrxvt terminal (all this is in .xinitrc).
>
> Does Xorg handle parameters to startx differently?  Is there some way
> to get this same functionality in Etch with Xorg?  Without it, I may
> have to stick with Sarge and XFree86.

Try using .Xsession instead of .xinitrc. For backward compatibility, do

    ln -s .xinitrc .Xsession

Also, consider putting the server arguments in .xserverrc rather than
using an alias. You can override those arguments on the command line
when required.

--

Liam