startx question -- Etch & Xorg vs Sarge and XFree86

I am currently running Sarge with XFree86. I have done a chroot install of Etch with Xorg. When I boot into Sarge I run X with the command:

startx -- :1.0 vt07 (through an alias)

and my wife uses

startx -- :0.0 vt08

That way we can each have seperate X sessions open at the same time, with our own preferences, colors, bookmarks, etc.

When I boot to Etch, however, this results in a blank gray X screen and no mouse keys seem to do anything, so I can not even open an xterm. All I can do is a ctl-alt-bksp to get out of X entirely. If I remove the alias so that startx uses no commandline parameters, then X starts up fine, using fvwm2, setting my background color and opening an mrxvt terminal (all this is in .xinitrc).

Does Xorg handle parameters to startx differently? Is there some way to get this same functionality in Etch with Xorg? Without it, I may have to stick with Sarge and XFree86.

--
Marc Shapiro

No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.
What?! Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here.
Boom. Sooner or later ... boom!

- Susan Ivanova: B5 - Grail