Re: Pinning libstdc++6 does not work ...

Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 20:12:34 +0200, Stefan Bellon wrote:

> > This results in the following output:
> >
> > bellonsn@cube$ apt-cache policy libstdc++6
> > libstdc++6:
> >   Installed: 4.1.1-11
> >   Candidate: 4.1.1-11
> >   Package pin: 4.1.1-11
> >   Version table:
> >      4.1.1-15 1001
> >         500 http://ftp.debian.org unstable/main Packages
> >  *** 4.1.1-11 1001
> >         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
> >
> > Why is the version 4.1.1-15 at priority 1001 as well? It looks to me
> > like this is the problem.
>
> I think that is normal; I have not used pinning in a while, though
> (since moving to aptitude completely). The only important part is the
> line "Package pin: 4.1.1-11" which means that apt has accepted your
> preferences file and pinned the package to the specified version. I am
> starting to suspect that pinning such an important library to an
> obsolete version might simply confuse apt(itude)'s update logic beyond
> recovery.

Wow, that's strange. I think you may be quite right, but I see no
excuse for that. Having an old Debian relase and mixing that with a
later release means using "obsolete" versions of important libraries as
well. If this is really the case, then I'd consider this a problem with
apt.

> OK, I propose plan B:
>
> aptitude search -F "%p" '~U~b' | aptitude hold $(cat)
>
> The first command should produce a list of all upgradable but broken
> packages and the second one should put them all on hold. Maybe that
> will work.

When I did that, then libstdc++6 was not put on hold. So before I did
the above, I manually did

# aptitude hold libstdc++6

and then your suggestion. But afterwards there were still 28 broken
packages that could not be put on hold.

I think this may be the reason why apt's own pinning logic cannot
resolve the issue.

I'll go plan C then ... manually upgrading individual packages if it's
possible ... :-}

But thanks for all your help, I learnt a lot about apt's and aptitude's
command line usage.

--
Stefan Bellon