Re: Pinning libstdc++6 does not work ...

Florian Kulzer wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 12:44:10 +0200, Stefan Bellon wrote:

> > I have put the following in /etc/apt/preferences:
> >
> > Package: libstdc++6
> > Pin: version 4.1.1-11
> > Pin-Priority: 1001
> >
> > But then, when trying to do an update from within aptitude, it still
> > wants to replace this libstdc++6 version with a later one.
>
> Maybe something is wrong with the package pin. Try to use
>
> Pin: version 4.1.1-11*
>
> instead.

This made no difference.

> If this does not work then you should post the output of
>
> apt-cache policy libstdc++6
>
> so that we can see how your apt rates the different versions of the
> package.

This results in the following output:

bellonsn@cube$ apt-cache policy libstdc++6
libstdc++6:
  Installed: 4.1.1-11
  Candidate: 4.1.1-11
  Package pin: 4.1.1-11
  Version table:
     4.1.1-15 1001
        500 http://ftp.debian.org unstable/main Packages
 *** 4.1.1-11 1001
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Why is the version 4.1.1-15 at priority 1001 as well? It looks to me
like this is the problem.

> > "hold" libstdc++6 in aptitude, I get over 50 broken packages and
> > cannot resolve them manually.
>
> If your system is in a consistent state then it should be possible to
> put the library on hold without breaking other packages. This hold
> will of course block upgrades of all dependent packages. This can
> become awkward pretty soon since libstdc++6 is an important library.

The system was in consistent state the last time I updated it (which
admittedly is now some time ago because of said issue).

> > What's the way to go if I want to pin libstdc++6 4.1.1-11 and all
> > dependent packages, but being able to update other packages?
>
> I think the following should work: Run "aptitude keep-all" to cancel
> all scheduled actions. Start aptitude in interactive mode; there
> should be no broken packages. (Check with 'b'; if there are broken
> packages you have to fix them first.) Put libstdc++6 on hold. If you
> now use 'U' to request an upgrade then aptitude should detect the
> problems with the new versions of the packages that depend on
> libstdc++6. It should propose different ways of resolving the
> conflicts; one of them should be 'suggests 50+x keeps'. If you accept
> that resolution then aptitude should be able to upgrade all packages
> which are not affected by libstdc++6. (Use ',' and '.' to view the
> different proposals and '!' to accept the best one.)

While this approach seems to be the theoretically best one, it is
practically impossible ... after pressing 'U' I have 59 broken
packages. I have now skipped through the suggestions using "fast
forward", i.e. holding down '.' and I am at suggestion 2500 right now.
The "keeps" start at around 9 or 10 with lots of "removes" and then the
"keeps" start to increase, however even at suggestion 2500 I'm still at
only 42 "keeps".

Is there a more practical solution?

Thanks for your valuable input! Very much appreciated!

--
Stefan Bellon