Re: SMP with ACPI disabled

On 10/5/06, Roberto C. Sanchez <roberto@connexer.com> wrote:

> I have a dual Xeon machine that was running fine on all four cores,
> but then I started getting some filesystem corruption because of dodgy
> RAID drivers.  I disabled ACPI, which fixed this, but now I am down to
> running on two cores.
>
> My question is, is there any way to run SMP (that will give me all
> four cores) without ACPI?

If you are running on two cores, and you see both in /proc/cpuinfo, then
you have SMP enabled.

I can see two cores in /proc/cpuinfo, but I used to see four, since
the processors are both dual core (sorry, I should have mentioned
this).

I'm not sure if I'm only running on one physical processor or one core
from each processor, but I'm definitely only running on two cores, and
I was running on four cores before, and the only change I made was
disabling ACPI.

I have the dmesg output from before (with ACPI) and now (without ACPI)
if anyone is interested:

http://www.webgenius.co.nz/dmesg-acpi.txt

http://www.webgenius.co.nz/dmesg-noacpi.txt

Cheers,