From: Andrew Critchlow [mailto:a_critchlow@hotmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 9:21 AM
To: Debian Mailing List
Subject: external ip and DNS

Hi, a little off subject, but i was wondering if anyone could help?

I have domain and dns server which is registered on the net. This will need an external ip for www usage as it will host a website. I also want to add a mail server for the company, will this require another external ip address or can it somehow use the first external ip address?

One other quick question about DNS - (BIND) - When configuring the reverse lookup sones and you point the ip address' at the name like this:

1.249.249.192.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR host1.domain.com

Does this only really matter if the host has an external ip address? As lookups for other hosts would not be possible as they would not be registered in in-addr.arpa?

Many thanks for your time
andrew.