Re: external ip and DNS

"Andrew Critchlow" <a_critchlow@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, a little off subject, but i was wondering if anyone could help?
>
> I have domain and dns server which is registered on the net. This will need an external ip for www usage as it will host a website. I also want to add a mail server for the company, will this require another external ip address or can it somehow use the first external ip address?

The short answer: no problem.

The short explanation: for each IP there are many "ports". Each service
has it's own port. Usually these are:

http = 80
ftp = 21
smtp = 25
ssh = 22

As long as you have only one instance of each you don't even need any
special config. Just install the respective package and be sure to open
the coresponding port in your firewall.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)