Re: capturing terminal scrollback buffer?

On 10/01/2006 10:28 AM, Marc Shapiro wrote:
Mumia W.. wrote:

On 09/29/2006 10:33 PM, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

anybody know how to capture the contents of a terminal scrollback
buffer? i've got about 1000 lines of debug stuff from a network
problem that I want to save, but its just sitting in the scroll back
buffer of an aterm. argh! how do I get it out of there without
copy/pasting it one screen at a time?
thanks

I don't have any experience with aterm. I'm using rxvt-xpm to test this right now. It must be done in two stages: copy the text before the last screen and copy the text on the last screen. An alternate x-terminal (or perhaps just a text-editor) must be available to paste into; in my test, I used "cat > output" in another x-terminal."

Stage 1--Copy the text before the last screen: Scroll back as far as you can and right-click the top-left portion of the window; the window highlights. Switch into the alternate x-terminal (or editor) and middle click to paste the text; this should be all of the text before the last screen.

Stage 2--Copy the text on the last screen: Go back to the last (bottom-most) screen in the original aterm. Right-click the bottom-right portion of the window; the window highlights. Switch into the alternate x-terminal (or editor) and middle click to paste the text; this should be the text on the last screen.

Good luck.

That also seems to work in mrxvt. Additionally, I can scroll to the top of the buffer and select with the left mouse button and drag it all the way to the bottom, then paste with a middle-click. This gets the entire buffer in a single opperation, instead of two.

The single operation method didn't work for me in rxvt-xpm 2.6.4.

--
paduille.4058.mumia.w@earthlink.net