Re: spamcop

On Friday 29 September 2006 03:23, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> I hate to get into this discussion but...
>
> On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 06:09:46AM +1000, Andrew Vaughan wrote:
>
> [snippage]
>
> > However apparently the problem is users reporting list emails to
> > spamcop.
>
> just to point out that I've personally been getting a few of these
> lately. confirmation emails from lists I've not signed up for. Now, I
> know better than to report these to a blacklist, and in fact, I don't
> tag them as spam for my filter either, in case I miss a legit one, but
> others in this world don't think and it would be pretty easy for
> someone to report one as spam and there you go, the list is
> blacklisted again. just a thought.

My phrasing evidently wasn't clear.  AIUI the problem isn't misdirected
confirmation emails.  The problem is that some spam makes it through debian
filters.  List subscribers then report that that spam to spamcop.  Spamcop
then blames murphy for sending that spam.

In the bits you snipped I even quoted the spamcop web page saying mailing
list subscribers shouldn't report spam they have received via mailing lists
they are legitimately subscribed to.

Andrew