Etch install

I am currently using kubuntu and want to test the etch dist.  My board is a
K8M Neo-V from MSI.  I downloaded the netinst iso.  The install process fails
to setup the mobo LAN card.  I disabled the internal LAN and installed a
Linksys card with same results.  On both occasions I tried a manual
configuration with the setting that work for the kubuntu install.  The only
diff is that I substitute the HD (mounted for easy change) for a test drive.

Ideas?