Re: kernel mess

Bruno Buys wrote:

On 9/28/06, *Bruno Buys* <bruno.grupos@gmail.com <mailto:bruno.grupos@gmail.com>> wrote:

< snip>
    That´s what I gather, also.

    This whole architecture thing on amd´s are quite confusing. I wish
    someone wrote a document explaining things clearly. It seems amd
    released the first semprons without 64bit extensions, then decided
the include it.

Correct semprons were originally Socket A cpu's as a replacement for the Athlon XP etc. AMD ditched the socket A in favour of S754, but disabled the 64 bit instruction on the semprons promoting the AMD64 instead. As the AMD64 moved over to the S939 they then starting introducing 64 bit enabled Sempron processors.

    Semprons were firstly designed to replace durons,
    but actually are replacing athlons. When amd realized that, it
    started to back semprons more closely. So, there´s an architecture
    mess. Even my bios reports the cpu as 'AMD Hammer family, unkown
    model'. And abit´s website has no upgrade bios file to specifically
    address that, so far.

    You see: the cpu I have is NOT an AMD64 cpu as stated by the cpu´s
    box or any other document. But it runs debian-installers for amd64.

It will it has the 64 bit instruction set. Intel 64 bit processors are called emt64 but still run the amd64 port of debian :)

    Hi friend!

    I pasted the questions from your previous email here, for
    convenience. The ones above are answered inline.

    As for the module not building I have a few more thoughts/questions

    - you should be using i386.deb to build.

    I was using -amd64 while running k8 kernel.

    - are you attempting the build while running the amd64 kernel?

    Yes.

    - have you tried purging the nvidia-kernel-source and

    If I´d do this, it would remove my ok nvidia-kernel-source from k7
    kernel as well, so I didn´t.

No, because you have already built the module for this kernel and its sitting in /usr/src/nvidia-kernel-2.6.8XXXX.deb. Deleting the source will not remove this kernel. However, based on my lastest investigations as per my last posting I doubt this or any 'make clean' as suggested below would help :)

    deleting all the source code from /usr/src/modules and then
    reinstalling?

    This I didn´t try. Its a good idea. Its got a ton of dirs/files in
    there.

    - debian/rules clean run from /usr/src/modules/nvidia-kernel may do the
    same as the above.

    I´ll try that and/or the above.

    My thinking on the last two is there may be some leftovers in
    /usr/src from building the -k7 kernel module that is confusing make
    into thinking you are still running a -k7 kernel.

    This is likely, indeed. I´ll try and let you know what happened.

clive i didn´t see your email before posting mine. Yes, I agree about chroot. But before moving to that, I´d like to understand all this more deeply. Right now I don´t feel confident enough.

That's why suggested a clean install in a separate partition if possible, at least you have a backup plan if it goes wrong, which of course it wont as this is Debian. Yes I know this is not the recommended way of doing things Clive, but it worked for me :)

Wackojacko