Re: kernel mess

On (27/09/06 21:55), Bruno Buys wrote:

Hi again wackojacko, thanks for the interest. I am as much lost as you,
in this.
I kinda gave a bad name to my thread, it seems. There are three kernels
installed here, but this isn't the real problem. Let me try to re-state
the whole thing:

<snip background>

These two kernels are installed alongside my 2.6.8-2-k7 and all of them
boot and run and don't panic:
kernel-image-2.6.8-11-amd64-generic - Linux kernel image for version
2.6.8 on generic x86_64 systems
kernel-image-2.6.8-11-amd64-k8 - Linux kernel image for version 2.6.8 on
AMD64 systems

This is the exact processor:
http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/desktop/details.aspx?opn=SDA3400AIO3BX

Must be 64 bit capable otherwise it probably wouldn't boot into the -amd64 kernels.

So, from the point of view of the software, I am running a 32bit system.
But the hardware is able to run 64bit (amd64) debian-installers from (2).

Firstly, I need to know what arch am I running now.

You are still running a 32 bit system with optimised kernels (-amd64).

Then I need to know if reinstalling from scratch will pay off, in terms
of performance.

You've got a 64 bit processor so why not try the 64 bit port.

The other questions that came up are:

- Is the amd64 port as complete as i386?

No, but its getting there, things like flash, win32codecs for mplayer and a few others I use are still only i386, but are accessible via a chroot as mentioned by Clive below.

- Am I not using any x86_64 extension if I stick to 2.6.8-2-k7?

No I don't think so.

While reading (1) further, I bumped this:

"Running the mixed setup on a workstation is not recommended, because
iptables, the XFS filesystem, non-free NVidia and ATI binary drivers do
currently not support it."

'mixed setup' there is 32bit apps with 64bit kernels. So this might
concern me directly.

This is strange as I am using the Nvidia drivers on my 32 bit sid with a 64bit optimised kernel, albeit self compiled.

(1) -
http://alioth.debian.org/docman/view.php/30192/21/debian-amd64-howto.html#id250846

(2) - http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/sarge-amd64/iso-cd

Hope this all clear up. I guess the way to go would be to reinstall from
scratch at some time in the future. The problem is I have a ton of apps
installed, and going through all the hassle again freaks me out. Also
the completeness of the amd64 archive is a concern.

In the howto it describes howto set up amd64 in a chroot from a 32bit
system or (vice versa).  That would seem to be the way to go .....
either make the current system full 64 bit (or 32) and then chroot the
other.  FWIW, I installed the 64bit system first and chrooted 32 bit for
openoffice and firefox.

The warning about mixed systems says it all.

Regards

Clive

I have both 32 bit sid and 64 bit sid on separate partitions and keep both upto date. I then mount the 32 bit sid in a chroot so I can access 32 bit programs that are not available in amd64 port. If you have the space this may be the best option for you as you keep a working system while getting the other patition up and running.

As for the module not building I have a few more thoughts/questions

- you should be using i386.deb to build.
- are you attempting the build while running the amd64 kernel?
- have you tried purging the nvidia-kernel-source and deleting all the source code from /usr/src/modules and then reinstalling? - debian/rules clean run from /usr/src/modules/nvidia-kernel may do the same as the above.

My thinking on the last two is there may be some leftovers in /usr/src from building the -k7 kernel module that is confusing make into thinking you are still running a -k7 kernel.

HTH

Wackojacko