Re: xfce4 and automount usb stick icons on desktop

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006, H.S. wrote:

> Brad Sawatzky wrote:
>
> > I would check the following:
[ . . . ]
> >   - that 'gnome-volume-manager' is running, and
>
> Aha. Did not install gnome* packages at all. Maybe this is the problem.
> I hope I do not have to install all of gnome for this.
[ . . . ]
> Thanks for your input. I will install gnome-volume-manager and report
> how it went.
>
> BTW, is gnome-volume-manager a must for this automounting functionality?
> Isn't there any other application that does this? Just curious.

Good question.  'magicdev' is another (older?) option, but it is
gnome-based too.  I *think* gnome-volume-manager was an attempt to do this
automount business "right" (no polling, etc), but it is not exactly a
lightweight in the memory department (91 MB VSZ, 5.5 MB RSS).  That's
tolerable for a desktop, but not great for an appliance-style box...

-- Brad