Re: MOBILE PHONES AT VERY LOW PRICE OFFER. (reporting list spam)

On Wednesday 27 September 2006 18:32, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
> Mumia W.. wrote:
> > Is it a good idea to report spam to the mailing list to the respective
> > ISPs? The spam was not sent to me personally; however, it *is* spam; it
> > made it into my mailbox, and the mail-list debian-user didn't "opt-in."
> > ;-)
> >
> > Should I attempt to report things like this?
>
> Probably, yes. Especially if the server from which the spam originates
> (not to be confused with the 'from' or 'reply-to' address) is within
> your country. Sending spam is illegal in many countries including the EU
> and the US, so the people responsible for servers in these countries are
> legally obliged to take action, if they are notified.

If you do report it, make it clear to you isp that you got the mail from the
debian.org mailing lists (to which you are subscribed) and that problem is
that someone sent spam to the list.  Otherwise your isp (or whatever script
they use) might assume that debian.org sent spam to you.

Andrew