'/dev' nodes not getting populated

Hi,

I'm using Debian unstable

kernel: 2.6.17-2-686 SMP
udev: 0.100-1
hal: 0.5.7.1-2

I updated my system last night (remotely so did'nt monitor what all changed).

after reboot, X does not start.
says:
    /dev/agpgart
    /dev/input/mice not found

my /etc/modules has 'intel-agp' and 'psmouse'

dmesg show that both are loaded properly. lsmod also shows both present.

hwinfo shows that mouse is also loaded in /sys at /class/input/input1

but the /dev entries for both are missing. Infact '/dev/input' itself is
missing.

googling for it doesn't seem to give any related results :( and now I'm
basically stumped. Any help would be much appreciated.