rocky wrote:

>> Clive Menzies wrote:

>>> I put up some info on this a while back which may help:
>>> http://clivemenzies.co.uk/help/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=8&id=33&Itemid=58
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Clive
>>>
>>> --
>>> www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...
>>> ...strategies for business
>>>

>>> --
>>>
>> Hey,
>>
>> I did the following configuration in smb.conf of my debian machine
>>
>> #-------------snap begin------------------#
>>  [globals]
>> security = share
>>
>> [user1-docs]
>> comment = User1's Documents
>> path = /home/user1/Documents
>> read only = No
>> guest ok = Yes
>> force user = user1
>> map archive = no
>> #--------------------snap end---------------#
>>
>> I know this is insesure. but we are in a small office like a family. I
>> can use IE to access my debian machine by entering
>> \\mypcname\user1-docs
>>
>> The problem is I want to get access to my Windows XP file server's
>> E:/backup folder. When I switch my machine to Windows system I can
>> access XP server's backup folder by entering \\server\backup in IE's
>> address bar. But  this is not the case in debian system. In Debian
>> system's Mozilla if I enter \\server\backup in address bar it tells me
>> "http:\\server could not found".
>>
>> Can any of you tell me how to use Debian system access to window XPs
>> share files in my LAN please?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Rocky
>>

>> --
>>

> Further to my previous post.
>
> I enabled swap in /etc/inetd.conf and I can go to localhost:901 as
> well. The problem is I still not be able to access to Windows file
> server share folder. Do I need to configure Windows XP instead?
>
> Thanks,
> Rocky

The problem is that entering \\server\share in mozilla makes it search
for an http server.
IE automatically searches for windows shares with the same address.

You need to enter smb://server to specify to the browser what protocol
to use.

If you are using Gnome or KDE, use their file browsers and enter the
above in the adress bar.
If not using nautilus or konqueror, you'll have to install
'firefox-gnome-support' (do an 'apt-get install firefox-gnome-support')
to be able to browse samba shares from firefox.

hope that helps,

Vibhav

Hey, Thanks a lot for your reply! It really helped me a lot:)  It works now.

We have a printer connected to the Windows XP file server. And all the
other windows machine can use that shared printer. I'm wondering how
can I set up my debian machine so I can use the share printer?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Rocky