Re: Making kernel 2.6.18

David Baron wrote, On 2006-09-26 23:42:
On Tuesday 26 September 2006 02:54, Arthur Marsh wrote:
Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote, On 2006-09-26 03:49:
David Baron wrote:
I recall others have had a problem with this as well. Looks for the
asm/socket.h file.

This is very often a problem on a clean(ed) build, usually solved by
running a make until c files are actually being compiled and then
stopping it. Then one could go on with whatever makekpkg one was doing.

This no longer works. The blank make complains about no rule to make
include/config/auto.conf needed by include/config/kernel.release.

There is no include/config directory being created.
kernel-package version?
Most recent from Sid, 10.057
I had no trouble building a kernel from linux-source-2.6.18-1 with
kernel-package 10.057 last night.

I had copied /boot/config-2.6.17-2-686 to /usr/src/linux/.config

run

make menuconfig

Did that. This also kicks about the same asm/socket.h. Maybe I should just copy this file from somewhere--where? Should probably symlink to include/asm-i386/socket.h or link include/asm to asm-i386? This is what was in my 2.6.17 so did that

hmmm... what version of gcc are you using? dmesg on my machine reports:

Linux version 2.6.18 (2.6.18-10.00.Custom) (root@victoria) (gcc version 4.1.2 20060901 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.1-13)) #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Sep 25 15:47:14 CST 2006

The socket.h files I have include:

/usr/include/asm-i486/socket.h
/usr/include/asm-x86_64/socket.h
/usr/include/asm/socket.h
/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.17/include/asm-i386/socket.h
/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.18/include/asm-i386/socket.h

running make bare will now poll for NEW features. Mostly will take defaults.

made one or 2 changes and saved the result, then

time make-kpkg --initrd linux-image

What is "time"?

Anyway, with the symlink, things are proceeding. Thanks.

From the bash man page:

If  the  time reserved word precedes a pipeline, the elapsed as well as
user and system time consumed by its execution are  reported  when  the
pipeline  terminates.