Re: Making kernel 2.6.18

On Tuesday 26 September 2006 02:54, Arthur Marsh wrote:
> Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote, On 2006-09-26 03:49:
> > David Baron wrote:
> >> I recall others have had a problem with this as well. Looks for the
> >> asm/socket.h file.
> >>
> >> This is very often a problem on a clean(ed) build, usually solved by
> >> running a make until c files are actually being compiled and then
> >> stopping it. Then one could go on with whatever makekpkg one was doing.
> >>
> >> This no longer works. The blank make complains about no rule to make
> >> include/config/auto.conf needed by include/config/kernel.release.
> >>
> >> There is no include/config directory being created.
> >
> > kernel-package version?
Most recent from Sid, 10.057

> I had no trouble building a kernel from linux-source-2.6.18-1 with
> kernel-package 10.057 last night.
>
> I had copied /boot/config-2.6.17-2-686 to /usr/src/linux/.config
>
> run
>
> make menuconfig

Did that. This also kicks about the same asm/socket.h. Maybe I should just
copy this file from somewhere--where? Should probably symlink to
include/asm-i386/socket.h or link include/asm to asm-i386? This is what was
in my 2.6.17 so did that

running make bare will now poll for NEW features. Mostly will take defaults.

> made one or 2 changes and saved the result, then
>
> time make-kpkg --initrd linux-image

What is "time"?

Anyway, with the symlink, things are proceeding. Thanks.