Re: dma errors on boot

Andras Lorincz wrote:
It's a brand new notebook, the HDD shouldn't die... but who knows...
Maybe this is related to the fact that BIOS sets the HDD's DMA. If I enter the BIOS it shows that the HDD is set to dma mode 5 so maybe I should disable dma in the kernel if the bios anyway sets the DMA to on, I'll have a try.

I would have thought you would still need to have DMA enabled in the kernel, otherwise wont it just switch it off when the kernel takes over from the BIOS?

Still might be worth running a few diagnostics on the drive, new drives have been known to fail.

HTH

Wackojacko

On 9/26/06, *Wackojacko* <wackojacko32@ntlworld.com <mailto:wackojacko32@ntlworld.com>> wrote:

    Andras Lorincz wrote:
     > Hi,
     >
     > I have a notebook with fujitsu hdd. At startup I get messages
    like this:

     > hda: set_drive_speed_status: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete
     > DataRequest }
     > hda: lost interrupt
     > hda: lost interrupt
     > hda: lost interrupt
     > hda: lost interrupt
     > hda: set_drive_speed_status: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete
     > DataRequest }
     > hda: dma_intr: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
     > hda: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x00
     > hda: DMA timeout retry
     > hda: timeout waiting for DMA
     > hda: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete
    DataRequest }
     > hda: drive not ready for command
     >
     > but after boot there is no error and eveything works fine. I put
     > ide=nodma parameter in grub and compiled in the kernel the option
    to use
     > multi mode dma by default, but didn't help. Do you think that
    this is a
     > problem or should I ignore it?

    The only time I've seen these errors on the list before the general
    consensus seems to be that the HDD is about to die.  Install
    smartmontools and run a few diagnostic tests on it, but be prepared to
    order a new drive.  Oh and backup if you haven't already :).

    HTH

    Wackojacko