Re: bind keys for vt consoles

On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 02:11:28PM EDT, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Wayne Topa wrote:

[..]

> >I use .inputrc for that.
> >
> >see /usr/share/readline/inputrc
> >
> >Some of my .inputrc file
> ># Esc then m
> >"\em":"/usr/bin/mutt\C-M"
> ># Esc then f
> >"\ef":"/usr/bin/mc\C-M"
> >#Esc then t
> >"\et":"/usr/bin/htop\C-M"
> >DEL: backspace
> ># Reset terminal on F1
> >"\033[[A": "reset\C-M"
> ># mutt on F11
> >"ESC[23~": "mutt\C-M"
> ># getmail on F12
> >"ESC[24~": "bin/domail\C-M"
> >

> Thanks Wayne, let me try that.

Another option to achieve basically the same result is to use the shell's
history.

In bash:

Ctrl-p & Ctrl-N to move up & down the history list

Ctrl-R to search the history list

I tend to use bindings provided by my Window Manager for a few GUI apps
such as mozilla .. gimp .. and the history mechanisms for the multitude
of text-mode tools that I may need occasionally .. and whose options'
syntax I regularly forget.

Since you mentioned vt's this may be a useful complement to the .inputrc
bindings that Wayne recommends

-- if you run out of bindable keys for instance..

Thanks

cga