Spam and spam filtering, a problem new to me

Over tha past few weeks, I have started receiving spam email that
contains text the is all well formed words, but doesn't make sense as
a spam message, or as any other sort of communication. I think I have
found what is going on:

The email *does* contain a message. It is contained in a .gif or .png
or other image format file. These are not pictures of naked ladies,
but images of text that touts various penny stocks. If I didn't use
mutt, I might not have had so much puzzlement over them. I suppose
with Outlook all the user sees is the image, which is clearly spam,
but the user doesn't see what the spam filter sees, so, it seems, no
amount of filter fiddling will protect against this. What to do? Are
there new filtering techniques beyond spamassassin?

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net